Monday, July 28, 2014

I came out of the M.S. Closet

Beautiful day here in Ohio today.  The husband and I went to the park and ran our usual three mile trail.  It felt so great to get out and stretch my legs and fill my lungs with fresh air.  It was not my easiest run, I was struggling to stay steady.  It was better than last week though.

I was less than mobile last week and didn't get any runs in.  I did however walk one and half miles one day.  It took me 51 minutes.  It was still an accomplishment for me because I actually went to the park and used my cane.  I have always been very reluctant to "just walk" in front of the regulars I see at the park.  Silly pride.  I'll be sure to bring it up in confession next time I go.  Going out there and bringing my cane was a big deal. This was the day I would come out of the MS closet to my fellow regular park goers. Of course I had the questions "what happened?"  "what did you do?".   I just took a deep breath and said "well, I have M.S. and sometimes I have bad days when my legs won't work properly and this is one of those days".  After the initial shock and exclamations of "you run so much though", "you're so young" and the ever popular "you don't look sick", I answered many questions, and I had to explain that the times they don't see me at the park are not because I'm on vacation.  Those are usually my off days and I was uncomfortable coming out with my cane.  I received so much love and encouragement.  I had an older runner that I always try to pace with, but never can, tell me I was his hero.  It was a humbling experience.

Once I got on the trail I took  the slow pace to really take in my surroundings.  I forgot how beautiful the sun on the pond looks.  I haven't really looked at the wildflowers in the fields in a long time.  The squirrels and chipmunks play chicken with me on my runs, but just strolling along they don't even pay me any mind.  I was able to forget my cane and drunken stride and take it all in. I was pretty whipped for the rest of the day after that.

While 51 minutes to walk one and a half miles may seem somewhat excessive to one person, it was time well spent to me.

Enjoying the view of the pond.

*Side note here.  I had a ear and eye infection and was running a low grade fever.  That is what caused my symptoms. I had what my neuro calls a pseudo-relapse.  Once I got the infection cleared my symptoms went away fairly quickly.  Remember to pay attention to your body and if any feels off call your doctor.  Some people may be able to "gut it out", but not us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment