Friday, November 8, 2013

Falling in running and M.S

On the day before my first half marathon I find my self, nervous as hell and excited as all get out.  I look back over the last few months of training and realize I never thought about quitting. Not once.  I have had some really crappy runs, I felt like death after my first couple long runs, but I just kept telling myself " these are the things that make you stronger"

That follows very true to how I run my life in general.  I may fall and land on my face, but I have to get back up and finish the run.

M.S. can be a like a really bad run.  It will mess with your head, and sap your confidence in yourself if you let it.  If you fall during a run you have three choices, sit and cry about while you wait for someone to come and pick you up and carry you to the car, or you can get off your butt and continue on even if you half to walk the rest of the way.  I choose getting back up.

 I know many of us don't always have that option as our symptoms vary so widely with Multiple Sclerosis.  I do, however, believe there are different ways of "getting off your butt". What I mean is that we don't have to crawl into a mental ball and hide.  We can be proactive by listening to our bodies and taking care of ourselves to the best of our abilities.  Don't get caught up in the things you have lost or can't do anymore and try to think of all the things you still have.  I know, "it's easy for you to say", but if you read back on my past posts you'll see how often I struggle with this. 

The third choice for a fall is one we all need to feel comfortable with.  You can lean on someone until you can walk it off.  If you need to reach out for help do it!  There is nothing wrong with leaning on friends and family.  That's the beauty of the running community to me.  If we have a bad fall or crappy running day, there is always someone there to help you back up and let you lean on them if needed.  You are always encouraged to run your own race.  Don't compare yourself to another runner.  That is a valuable lesson we all would do well to learn for life in general.  My M.S. is a very different experience from the next person's M.S.  That's Ok, we can still learn from eachother's journey.

Run your own race friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment