Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Musings

I have the worst case of cabin fever right now.  The artic cold we are experiencing is really cutting into my me time.  My kids are finally back to school today and I can work on some sewing that needs to be finished.  Slipcovers, oi! That is another subject for another time.  Crazy time consuming, but worth it with my crazy dogs who think the furniture is here simply for their comfort.

Anyhow, as I was saying, I had some time to work on this project and I always put on music when I sew.  I sing along to all the songs like I wrote them and I know I sound pretty rough, but no one complains.Well, there was the one time the dogs started howling, but I like to think they were cheering me on.

Today my little concert time got me to thinking, would I rather be able to sing perfectly for one hour with no one else to hear me, or would I rather be famous for singing even though I would definitely need auto-tuning? A lot of auto-tuning.

I came to the conclusion I would rather be able to sing perfectly for one hour. Although there would be times I would try to chase the perfection and repeat it, I think I would also be proud of the fact that I was able to do it.   Then thought  occurred to me "whose definition of perfect would I be striving for?"  My dogs sure thought I was entertaining.  Isn't that enough? 

I think I have been almost obsessed with the idea of "perfection" for much of my life and instead of asking myself what do I think is perfect, I have spent too much time worrying about everyone else's views.  From body image to parenting.  I even worry myself about having M.S. the right way.   How crazy is that?! If I start substituting the word "enough" for perfect I would be much happier and content.

What about you all?  Are you striving for perfect when "enough" should be enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment